Clay County Rural Telephone Cooperative was incorporated on May 25, 1950 to provide telephone service to small towns and rural areas. Many small exchanges were started in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that eventually comprised our cooperative.
Cedric Ray, who was one of the charter members and a member of the first Board of Directors, was also the first General Manager of Endeavor Communications, and served in that capacity from 1950 to 1980. Other charter members and members on the first Board of Directors were Virgil Telgemeyer, Lloyd Chastain, Walter Meyer, Eugene Anderson, Oral McCullough, Ray Larkin, and Frederick L. Adamson.
Many area men and women volunteered countless hours to “sign up” their neighbors as members. Between 1955 and 1980, we acquired nine exchanges in an eight county area. We have grown to currently provide service to approximately 9,000 members. We also offer High Speed Internet, Television, IT Services, Security Solutions, Business Phone Solutions, and Wireless. These new additions prompted a name change to reflect our wide variety of services and our extended territories. In 2007 we became Clay County Rural Telephone Cooperative doing business as Endeavor Communications.